Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do normal people shop?

2 posters

Go down

Where do normal people shop? Empty Where do normal people shop?

Post  Mafiti Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Hello there - things in Nairobi are so ridiculously expensive I am starting to wonder if I will ever by anything for our house - simple bath mat KS2600, doormat KES3000, Whicker Laundry basket KES9000 - who pays these prices??

If anyone has advice on places to shop outside these infernal shopping malls, please let me know.

Thanks

Mafiti

Back to top Go down

Where do normal people shop? Empty Where to shop!

Post  Admin Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Unfortunately you have hit on the household/homemaker items that tend to be imported - and therefore very expensive. A friend of mine was moaning recently about having to pay ksh6000 for a single duvet cover the other day!

All I can suggest is shop around - the Tile and Carpet centre in Lavington off James Gichuru rd has a new shop selling towels/bath mats. These may be cheaper than Mr Price in the shopping centres. Same goes for the out-of-town centres on Mombasa Road - they might be a little bit cheaper (Furniture Palace etc). Also, did you try Nakumatt? (am sure you did) - I bought quite a nice bath towel in the Village Market branch the other day when we realised the kids were in Splash without a towel (and there was a thunderstorm breaking!).

Take heart in the knowledge that fruit and veg is great in Nairobi - and cheap! As is lamb and steak! Keep a list of things you need, then order online and get friends and family to bring out the odd bathmat - or bring it in yourself when you next go out of the country? (I realise this is not practical for a whicker basket!) - when you see hawkers on the road with baskets- get one from them and bargain hard!

Sorry not to be of more help!

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mafiti Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks, at least I know I am not the only one and not missing a trick. I have been told Kiambu town (which is near where I live) is also cheaper, but I have not ventured there yet.

Mafiti

Back to top Go down

Where do normal people shop? Empty Where do people shop?

Post  Admin Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am

I do also recommend the mitumba/second hand markets - if you go with a friend - and not decked in jewellery (take a shopping bag, cash & mobile phone in pocket - wellies if it's muddy) - then you can get some really good stuff. I got a duvet cover and bedspread from there that have lasted really well. You can tell when things are nearly new - some even still have the price tag on. It's a fun challenge to find good makes. I've done really well on finding curtains there too - one price pair is weighted and has blackout lining - they are much admired in our dining room! If you find nice fabric, you can get it made up into cushions/curtains etc by a local tailor at a very low price. I normally go to TOI market behind Adams Arcade shops (you can leave your car in the shopping centre) - off Ngong Road.

It's all a bit of a challenge - but at least these things can bring out the creativity in us!

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mafiti Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks, yes, had heard of these markets, but had no idea where to find one. I lived in La Paz, Bolivia for six years so quite used to the markets. I look forward to exploring. Thanks

Mafiti

Back to top Go down

Where do normal people shop? Empty Re: Where do normal people shop?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down