Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2 posters

Go down

Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Empty Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Post  rosborneutah Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Perhaps you can help me.

I’m an American technology executive, considering a move to Kenya, and would be seeking an executive business development or management position with technology firms, especially those that specialize in computing infrastructure, network services, mobile applications and cloud computing, etc.

I’m currently in discussions with one potential employer, but haven’t yet discussed compensation at a detailed level, which brings me to my request for info.

What insights do you have for Americans moving to and living in Nairobi? It would be me and my wife - we're "empty nesters", in our early-mid 50's, active, love the outdoors, adventurous but not reckless, like meeting new people, and enjoy new experiences. We're currently in Saudi Arabia, and considering whether Kenya is a good "next place" for us.

I'm trying to find out what the “typical” compensation packages for executives of technology companies in Kenya. I realize that there are very broad ranges, but am looking for information regarding any of the following:
1. Base salaries (is a range of $150K to 250K USD reasonable or excessive?)
2. Bonus (for business development exec, VP sales, MDs, etc.) of $100K-$150K USD - again, reasonable or excessive?
3. Is accommodation included or a stipend provided, and if so, is it a % or flat rate?
4. Is a car usually provided? Or transportation with car and driver?
5. Do vacation periods range from 6-8 weeks, or is it less?
6. For an expat like myself, is there normally a relocation package?
7. Are annual airfares to point of origin a usual perk?
8. What have I missed?

If you have answers or know of someone who could answer any or all of these, it would be enormously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Robert
rosborneutah
rosborneutah

Back to top Go down

Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Empty Executive Package

Post  Admin Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Wow, Robert - my mind is swimming from reading your message.

I'll help as best I can - and hope that someone else chips in too.

Executive salary - I would say 400,000-500,000 Kenya shillings is a good executive salary in Nairobi
Many companies also provide one company car - (a driver would be at your own expense)
Bonus - usually negotiated as based on a percentage of company profits
Vacation - 25-30 days is usual
Return flights to country of origin for each family member are often part of package (not necessarily business class)
Rent/housestaff costs/utilities bills etc - are nowadays all rolled into your overall salary so expected to be met by you.
Accommodation - for a family town house on a compound or good quality apartment you can expect to pay Kenya shs 200,000-300-000 per month
Not sure about a relocation package - unless you are working for a large organisation (Google/Coke/UN) - who may provide one.

Overall - the weather is great in Nairobi, you can be persuing outdoor pursuits all year round (hope you love golf!) and there's lots to do vis-a-vis travel in the country etc. You need an adventurous spirit and a good dose of patience (you obviously already have this since you are already expats) - your kids won't be able to resist visiting you! There are lots of fellow Americans here and plenty of societies to join.

The cost of living is relatively high in Nairobi - but you conversely end up saving more, since you tend to make do with what you have. locally grown fruit and veg is delicious. The Kenyan people are famously friendly, open and kind (especially to outsiders). Traffic is awful - so find a place to live near your office! Nairobi is full of fab restaurants, world class shopping centres and hotels nowadays.

Nairobi is booming - economy growing, growing middle class, property development explosion. Good luck with your decision!

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Empty Thanks so much!

Post  rosborneutah Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderfully informative and helpful reply. I have an offer to consider, and it looks good, so it's likely "Nairobi here we come!" in the next few weeks!

More responses to my questions would be greatly appreciated, especially info or recommendations on settling in!

Cheers!

Admin wrote:Wow, Robert - my mind is swimming from reading your message.

I'll help as best I can - and hope that someone else chips in too.

Executive salary - I would say 400,000-500,000 Kenya shillings is a good executive salary in Nairobi
Many companies also provide one company car - (a driver would be at your own expense)
Bonus - usually negotiated as based on a percentage of company profits
Vacation - 25-30 days is usual
Return flights to country of origin for each family member are often part of package (not necessarily business class)
Rent/housestaff costs/utilities bills etc - are nowadays all rolled into your overall salary so expected to be met by you.
Accommodation - for a family town house on a compound or good quality apartment you can expect to pay Kenya shs 200,000-300-000 per month
Not sure about a relocation package - unless you are working for a large organisation (Google/Coke/UN) - who may provide one.

Overall - the weather is great in Nairobi, you can be persuing outdoor pursuits all year round (hope you love golf!) and there's lots to do vis-a-vis travel in the country etc. You need an adventurous spirit and a good dose of patience (you obviously already have this since you are already expats) - your kids won't be able to resist visiting you! There are lots of fellow Americans here and plenty of societies to join.

The cost of living is relatively high in Nairobi - but you conversely end up saving more, since you tend to make do with what you have. locally grown fruit and veg is delicious. The Kenyan people are famously friendly, open and kind (especially to outsiders). Traffic is awful - so find a place to live near your office! Nairobi is full of fab restaurants, world class shopping centres and hotels nowadays.

Nairobi is booming - economy growing, growing middle class, property development explosion. Good luck with your decision!
rosborneutah
rosborneutah

Back to top Go down

Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Empty Re: Questions about an executive compensation package - any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down