Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooking gas /Security

2 posters

Go down

Cooking gas /Security Empty Cooking gas /Security

Post  Star twinkle Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am

Dear All,

Great to find a club like this , I'm getting to Nairobi with my two young sons ,early next month , to join my husband .(He got there earlier). I've been reading on the net that there's a short supply of cooking gas...how severe is this? Do apartments come with piped gas connections , or does one use gas cylinders. How does one get these and how long to get a recharge? Coming from india we use cooking gas cylinders and not electricity...so I am wondering how severe the situation is.
secondly , how bad is the security situation? We have consciously chosen to live in an apartment complex, giving up beautiful Karen for precisely this reason of security and fear of robbery. I am quite active and intend pursuing my French lessons as well as yoga and also make some time for dancing lessons- is it safe to move about by myself (I will have a car and a driver). I will go insane if I have to wait for weekends ...pls enlighten confused

Star twinkle

Back to top Go down

Cooking gas /Security Empty Cooking Gas/Security

Post  Admin Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am

Hi there,

First of all, don't worry!!

The gas shortage situation is tiresome but won't last for ever. We all use cylinders and whenever I run out, I generally find a replacement somewhere nearbye - in spite of the shortage - they have just gone up in price in recent months. They predict the shortage to be over by March. To be honest, there is always one shortage or another going on here (sugar, flour, petrol, water, electricity, gas) - it's just part of the spice of life and generally you can always find what you need in the end. Everybody just rolls with it and actually it sometimes makes life more interesting!

Security - don't worry about this either. There are security issues in Nairobi, just like any other city. Town house complexes in Karen are neither more or less secure than apartment blocks closer to town. - by the way there's a great dance studio in Karen, and a couple of places where yoga lessons are held too - but you will definitely find these wherever you end up living.

I drive myself everywhere, dog walk and run round the neighbourhood sometimes. There's no need to hide indoors. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised when you get here.

Very Happy

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Cooking gas /Security Empty Re: Cooking gas /Security

Post  Star twinkle Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 am

Thank you Smile From your reply I am now a little concerned about water shortage?? Do the taps run dry without any warning? is there anything I need to ask for specifically from the housing agent? The apartment that we are close to finalising is a new development called "Brooklyn Springs" somewhere in kilelshwa. Also once there how do I get my gas connection? Here I register with a supplier who supplies me with two full cylinders at first and then i just telephone him each time I run out , while using the second. i normally get my recharge in a day or two. Is this how it functions there as well? My husband's office is at the Industrial area, which would be the closest location for me to find a yoga studio and a dance studio? Me n my husband would have only one car n driver between us . I am not so familiar with the locations except karen , which we sadly gave up after an extensive search.

Star twinkle

Back to top Go down

Cooking gas /Security Empty Cooking Gas/Water

Post  Admin Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:59 am

It's okay, the gas cylinder thing here is very easy. You buy a cylinder (or 2) from a petrol station or supermarket, then take it back to any petrol station or supermarket for a refill when it's empty. All cylinders now have a universal nozzle - so are interchangeable with different suppliers etc. You may even find that your landlord provides you with your first gas cylinder and may even have an arrangement for replacing them when they are empty. Mine (which I use for cooking) usually lasts around 3 months.

I am sure you apartment in Kileleshwa will be lovely. The apartment managers/landlord will provide water for the whole complex. Most people are on mains supply from City Council. If this supply ever dwindles for whatever reason, then the apartment owners/managers will be responsible to buy a water bowser/truck to fill the tanks so your supply should not be a problem. Most houses and apartment complexes have a good size water storage tanks.

Nairobi Jaffrey sports club will be near where you live and yoga classes are held there. Have a look at this link for Kenya Buzz, an online guide to what's on in Kenya: http://kenyabuzz.com/whats-on/details/703

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Star twinkle Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:24 am

that was indeed helpful, thank you Very Happy Nairobi has already been very helpful and we finalised a house in riverside yesterday ...a BIG monkey off our backs Very Happy Looking forward to meeting up once we get there !

Star twinkle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down