Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving from India to join my husband giving up my job in India

2 posters

Go down

Moving from India to join my husband giving up my job in India Empty Moving from India to join my husband giving up my job in India

Post  shamini Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi All,

I am planning to move to from India to Nairobi to join my husband who is employed in Nairobi.This would mean i have to give up my job & I am really apprehensive about it.As i will be considered a dependant I will not be able to work.Is there some way I can work in Nairobi I am a qualified Chartered Accountant.
Please advice.Would be very grateful for any information.

Shamini

shamini

Back to top Go down

Moving from India to join my husband giving up my job in India Empty Leaving India - working in Kenya

Post  Admin Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Shamini,
I totally understand that you are apprehensive about the move but while you will initially be a dependent on your husband's entry pass, it is possible for you to get a work permit here in Kenya so that you can continue on your career path. It's also great that you are thinking about this now, in advance of moving, this way you can get wheels in motion before you even arrive. If your husband is already here, he can put feelers out for you too.

The immigration/work permit process is complex, there are lots of different classes for different types of work, but it's certainly doable and will be significantly easier for you to apply since you hold a recognised professional qualification. If you find a job in Nairobi, your employer might be willing to arrange the permit on your behalf. Alternatively, it is possible to organsie a permit for yourself so that you can work as a consultant - but for this I would advise using a local agent if possible. There are costs attached to these permits and they can be high (which is why it is ideal for an employer to do it/pay for it for you).

If I were you, I would get pro-active. Look up some bigger company names based in Nairobi (on the internet) and send out some emails enquiring to see if anyone would be interested in employing you. Nairobi is the regional hub for many multinational companies, Nokia, Coke, Airtel - also accounting firms, Deloitte Touche, Pricewaterhouse Coopers to name just a few. There are also Nairobi based recruitment companies/headhunters that you can contact.

Moving to Nairobi needn't be an end to your working life. It could be an exciting new beginning!

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down