Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorcycle in Nairobi

2 posters

Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Motorcycle in Nairobi

Post  ajpeters Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm moving to Nairobi next month and need to decide whether to ship my motorcycle along. I'll likely buy a car there as well, but prefer to travel around town on my bike. How are the roads? Well paved or pothole ridden? Is there motorcycle jacking in addition to car-jackings?

ajpeters

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Motorbikes in Nairobi

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

My husband has a KTM off road motorbike and has a fine old mid-life-crisis time burning over the Ngong Hills etc over the weekends with friends. Many people/friends do ride motorbikes in an attempt to beat the traffic, but generally speaking I haven't seen particularly flashy motorbikes on the road.

Havent heard to motorbike-jacking as yet. Car jacking takes place but it's all relative, there are millions of cars on the road, and only v few get car-jacked.

There are potholes but a lot of the roads are being re-tarmac/re-carpeted at the moment.

I reckon that if you left your bike at home, you'd regret it when you got here.

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Motorbikes

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 pm

To qualify that - my husband said that cars here are not really 'motorbike aware' so you are taking your life in your hands when driving a road bike in the chaos that is nairobi traffic. Having said that, Kenya's probably one of the best places in the world to do off-road biking.

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Taking My Life in My Hands

Post  ajpeters Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. The bike will be coming along. I plan on scouting out the terrain before taking it out. Even if it only goes on short rides, at least it is getting some use.
I may have to pick up a off road or dual use and find a group to head to the hills with as well.
adam

ajpeters

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Motorbike trips

Post  Andreas Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Hey,

...by chance i found this "motorbike-thread" of yours. I moved to Nairobi a few month ago and unfortunately decided not to take my motorbike with me. Now i would at least love to do a trip somewhere for the weekend. Can you tell me where exactly your husband rides on the Ngong Hills? (or any other trips)

Well appreciated, thx,

Andreas

Andreas

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Doesn't look too bad

Post  ajpeters Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Arrived a few weeks back and the roads I'll use are good enough to ride on. I won't be going very fast due to traffic and road conditions so I won't need a perfect surface anyhow. Traffic is a mess, but it is moves predictably enough that I don't feel there is much more danger than there is many places in the States or in Seoul were I first took up riding.
Now just waiting on my bike which is supposed to arrive at the end of March - just in time for the rains Crying or Very sad

ajpeters

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty What about scooters/mopeds?

Post  Emily Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Are there scooters/mopeds used in Nairobi too? I'm not keen on motorbikes, but maybe a scooter to nip around on might be an idea and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that...

Thanks!

Emily

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Re: Motorcycle in Nairobi

Post  ajpeters Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:36 pm

I don't see many if any scooters/mopeds in Nairobi. There are many small (100-250cc) bikes. I'm sure the price is the selling point, but their light weight and maneuverability in traffic (and sidewalks) probably makes them preferable to larger models anyhow.

ajpeters

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle in Nairobi Empty Re: Motorcycle in Nairobi

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down