Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curtains & Internet

3 posters

Go down

Curtains & Internet Empty Curtains & Internet

Post  Kenyafor3 Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi All

We have just secured our lease for a house in Karen and I now face the colossal task of having curtains made for the million windows.
I recall from an earlier message, that the Administrator said there where many tailors available to come out and measure and quote on such jobs. Where might I find such tailors?
Secondly, how do we go about having our internet connection set-up? Is this something the landlord arranges and we subscribe on our name or do we apply for the set-up of the service?
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Kenyafor3

Back to top Go down

Curtains & Internet Empty Internet and curtains

Post  juniper Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:24 am

Hi,
I have just moved here and am in the process of trying to get home internet. So far, it seems that fibre optic cable is not here in Runda yet but might be in the next year (or so?). In the meantime, I have asked Orange and Safaricom for surveys to see if we can get home internet. Safaricom seems to be the better deal, 2Mbs for 7000Ksh/month, whereas Orange offers the same speed for 9999Ksh/month. Orange's "Livebox" service is based on copperwire telephone landline (you have to check if you have this, ask landlord) whereas Safaricom is based on a wireless service. I think they have to put an antenna on your roof which communicates with their local stations, or something like that. In either case, you will have to pay a one time fee for either the Orange Livebox or the Safaricom router (6-7,000Ksh?).

While you are waiting for a more permanent home internet service to be set up, you can buy a "dongle" from either Orange or Safaricom. It looks like a USB key, goes into the USB port, and is easy to set up and use. We got one from Orange (3G+ speed is pretty good) and you can either pay for a certain amount of downloads (a "data bundle") or pay a bit more and get one week unlimited internet.

I'm meeting with the Safaricom people today and will let you know what we decide. If it's easy to meet a neighbour or two, you could always ask them. Haven't met any neighbours here myself yet.

I ended up buying the previous tenant's curtains (1800 usd, 5 br house worth, lots of windows), felt like I spent way too much money (am not used to having any curtains at all) but others have said it can be pretty expensive to have curtains made, anyway, I'm happy I have them and just wanted to warn you about the price in case, like me, you have never had curtains before.

Good luck,
Juniper

juniper

Back to top Go down

Curtains & Internet Empty internet

Post  juniper Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am

Hi, I just got hooked up to Safaricom's internet service, 2 Mbs for 7000 Ksh/month. So far so good, certainly much better than the dongle I was using, and they hooked it up very quickly and efficiently, within two days after I ordered it by paying in advance for the router and half of the first month's payment. They assured me that I would get all the money back if they could not get a signal or if they couldn't get it to work. It took them several hours to set up the antenna on the roof and run the cable, and to get it to work. They worked very professionally, tested everything before leaving and we are very pleased with the service.
Juniper

juniper

Back to top Go down

Curtains & Internet Empty Curtains in Karen

Post  Admin Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:26 pm

If you are in Karen then try side-of-the-road Wilmer Interiors - located in Karen near KK security HQ and Karen Park shop/offices centre on Ngong Road. Curtains should cost 350/- to 500/- (max) per drop for sewing - though I might be a bit out of date on that. There's also a brilliant little haberdashery place called 'cushions and crafts' inside the Motherland Motor shopping parade behind the Shell garage on Karen Road leading from Ngong to Langata. They might do it.

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Curtains & Internet Empty Re: Curtains & Internet

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down