Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mitumba - where abouts?

2 posters

Go down

mitumba - where abouts? Empty mitumba - where abouts?

Post  Hagz Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Sounds like an excellent place - both for staff clobber and me! Nonetheless - where is it - I come in from the Muthaiga (well beyond actually!) end of town? Would love to go there but getting the "Iotollah" to go anywhere without directions can be...difficult! If you can point me in the right direction I might go "armed" with the house-keeper instead - she'd love a girls day/morning out and a change of scenery - might even find her something that the actually likes as opposed to something she had to be polite about Rolling Eyes

Hope all is well!
H
Hagz
Hagz

Back to top Go down

mitumba - where abouts? Empty Mitumba

Post  Admin Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:14 pm

So funny. I know what you mean about giving the 'wrong' thing that I have bought especially and getting a v. luke warm reaction! I just turn out all our cupboards every year or two and it gets picked through and divided up behind closed doors - plus it's an absolute bonus for me to get rid of unwanted clothes and shoes. The only problem is that sometimes I miss things horribly just after I've thrown them out (ie. damn - that would have been perfect for the fancy dress party...). This works particularly well at Christmas.

The Mitumba I go to (and you will see lots of other mzungus there too) is behind Adams Arcade Shopping Centre, on Ngong Road. (Adams is between Nakumatt Junction and Nakumatt Prestige Plaza). I normally park in the Arcade or at Uchumi, then walk down through Mitumba. You will find clothes priced higher on the 'outside' bits of the market, then less expensive as you delve right inside past Toi School.

Tuck your mobile phone and some cash into your various pockets and leave your bag in the car, just to be safe. I have never had a prob there - everybody v. helpful and friendly, but it is worth being a little streetwise and it's best to dress down for the occasion.

There are other big mitumba markets across town (in fact in most towns across Kenya), and lots of tiny stalls here and there on the side of the road in most residential areas. Sometimes I see something that I fancy taking a closer look at while driving past, then pull over for closer inspection.

Good luck - enjoy! I got fab interlined, pinch pleated dining room curtains there once that everybody always admires! Go with an open mind Very Happy

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

mitumba - where abouts? Empty Re: mitumba - where abouts?

Post  Hagz Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Open mind? Your talking to the woman who thinks a skip is an aladins cave/gift emporium with my name writ large!!! Thanks for the directions - so thats two things that I want to get into when I go back in a couple of weeks!!

Hope all is well inthe Green City.
H
Hagz
Hagz

Back to top Go down

mitumba - where abouts? Empty Re: mitumba - where abouts?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down