Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what to bring, what to leave!

3 posters

Go down

what to bring, what to leave! Empty what to bring, what to leave!

Post  Lisa Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Ok, so the decision has been made, we are coming out for 2 years. Now, should we be really cool about it all and just bring the necessary basics - we can get everything we need once we settle in, etc etc etc.... OR do we make an effort to bring stuff from home - books, toys for the girls, trainers that No.1 has grown out of but No.2 won't need just yet????? You know the sort of stuff! An experienced opinion would be helpful right now before we book, or don't book, the extra space! Thanks.

Lisa

Back to top Go down

what to bring, what to leave! Empty So what shall I bring?

Post  Admin Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:49 pm

It's the multi-million dollar question isn't it? I always found that moving provided a great opportunity for throwing out old tat and streamline your living (which is why I am currently buried under 8 years of accumulated rubbish - help!)

I would not rely on finding a lot of things while you are out here. Wicker and wooden furniture plus soft furnishings can be made literally on the side of the road fairly cheaply here (search - fundis (workers) on my blog) but anything imported costs an arm and a leg, from kids shoes to toys. On the upside, there are flourishing second hand markets and if you are willing to pay a premium, imported kids shoes are available here - there are also great toy shops and plenty of clothes retailers (Woolworths etc), great in an emergency, it's just that you will end up paying x3 the price for a pair of leggings.. You can buy things like mosquito nets here no problem, or have them made to fit your beds.

Since you are here for two years, I would have a good sort out of what gets played with most, what is in the best condition, key items that you can't live without. Certainly bring kids bikes, tv, even fridge (white goods cost a fortune here). Re: clothes; you don't really need warm coats, scarves, woolens except perhaps one rain mac each. Buy wellies and umbrellas when you get here. It never drops below +12 really, so no need for lots of woollens. Jeans, t-shirts, cotton jumpers, fleeces, then summer dresses and skirts are good year round. don't forget to bring lots of shorts, t shirts and UV swimming costumes, especially for kids since you use them all year and they wear out. Long lightweight shirts and trousers are useful for evenings on the beach. Bring a few pairs of heels and boots for glam evenings (Nairobi mums have a penchant for knee length leather boots with everything - don't ask me why!?!)

chemist stuff - you can buy anything over the counter without prescription here - so don't worry too much

Books - again, there are good bookshops and you are bound to buy some when here, but any favourites would be worth bringing. Our visitors tend to bring books and leave them here so we have built up quite a library.

Good luck - will continue brainstorming and get back to you!

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

what to bring, what to leave! Empty Re: what to bring, what to leave!

Post  Lisa Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Thank you! What a brilliantly useful list, so glad I found this forum now!!!

Lisa

Back to top Go down

what to bring, what to leave! Empty more stuff

Post  juniper Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi,
I've just arrived, and am waiting for our shipment. We were given a few other suggestions too, like lawnmower and ice cream maker.
juniper

juniper

Back to top Go down

what to bring, what to leave! Empty more stuff

Post  juniper Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi,
I've just arrived, and am waiting for our shipment. We were given a few other suggestions too, like lawnmower and ice cream maker.
juniper

juniper

Back to top Go down

what to bring, what to leave! Empty Re: what to bring, what to leave!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down