Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies?

4 posters

Go down

Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies? Empty Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies?

Post  Clarissa Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi

We are moving to Nairobi in July from the UK. We don't have an enormous shipping allowance (because we are getting a fully furnished house) and are trying to decide whether to go the whole hog and pay for a container (so that we can bring items of furniture that have sentimental value eg Grandmas's bureau) or to keep within our allowance and essentially leave all the big pieces of furniture behind (which may mean having to sell them). My concern about the container shipping is that the initial quotes I have received cover shipping to Mombasa and then that's it! Can anyone recommend a company that will deliver the container to us in Nairobi without me having to sell one of the children to pay for it?

Also, I remember reading something about having to go down to Mombasa to 'receive' or check the shipment - is that true?

If there is anybody who has any experience of shipping a 20' container into Kenya, i would be enormously grateful for your thoughts or advice. Thank you so much.

Clarissa x

Clarissa

Back to top Go down

Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies? Empty Shipping

Post  Kenyafor3 Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi Clarissa

Welcome to Africa. Its really odd that you can't get quotes to Nairobi as most shipping companies have an inland leg to their services.
Do you want to use a moving company to pack up and unpack your goods or do you do that yourself? I assume not since that adds quite a lot onto your bill.
I would suggest using Maersk Line (that is one I have experience with personally and have worked with them for a number of years previously) or their logistics arm called Damco Logistics.
And no you don't have to go to Mombasa to do the clearing. If you use Damco they will do the clearing for you as customs does need to be cleared at your first port of call. They will then arrange for your container to be put on rail or truck to nairobi and delivered to you. If you go only to the shipping lines they do not do clearing. Hope this helps

PM me if you need any more help.
Good luck

Kenyafor3

Back to top Go down

Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies? Empty Shipping/Moving Company

Post  AandBFamily Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

You can also try Crown Relocations.
They partner with Cube Movers once in Kenya and offer a thruway to Nairobi, which avoids customs clearing delays in Mombasa.

Good luck!

AandBFamily

Back to top Go down

Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies? Empty Shipping companies

Post  Admin Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi there,

Have you tried SDV Transami? World Wide Movers?

If you are moving into a furnished house - I would be tempted to recommend airfreight - then put your valuable items into storage in the UK? It's true that you only have a 3-4 month grace period to ship your used/personal goods - but it all depends on how long you intend to live here for? We moved over on our honeymoon - it's been 13 years now and counting - 3 kids later... We never shipped any furniture from the UK but instead managed with whatever is locally available. I admittedly do sometimes yearn for granny's special chest now though.

Shipping a 20 foot container should be fine. If you are set on doing this then expect delays. It could take 3 months to get your container to your door due to clearing problems at Mombasa port (which are perfectly normally and to be expected here) - but you will get everything safely in the end.

Was that any help at all?!

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies? Empty Re: Moving to Nairobi from UK - recommendations for shipping companies?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down