Africa Expat Wives Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

personel security

5 posters

Go down

personel security Empty personel security

Post  Colleen Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:12 am

I may be moving to Kenya-I just heard of an American who had a home invasion this past week-was tied up and held by 6 men. The men robbed him and drank up liquor-this is a valid incident. Has any one heard news of this, and what is the feeling of the EXPAT community? I really want to come to Kenya but I really do not want to be tied up and possibly worse. I am wondering if this is a common happening, and if so, are people killed during home invasions? Do Expats arm themselves against these invaders?Or is home invasion more of an exercise in preventative measures, hoping they are adequate?

Colleen

Back to top Go down

personel security Empty Re: personel security

Post  juniper Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Colleen,
I also posted a question about security as we are considering a move, and have gotten one reply from someone else who is moving to Nairobi, but only silence from people who actually live there. I assume this means that it is so safe there that everyone is having trouble thinking up reasons why we should be concerned :-) Or, it is not so bad if you take precautions and everyone is sick of the "outsiders" obsessing about security. My husband's cousin and his family lived there happily for 5 years recently, and they never had any trouble. They had an electrified fence, 24 hr private security with personal alarms and house alarms, dogs, and a secure house where you can lock yourself in at night on the second floor. Plus I'm sure they had a big 4x4. If you are willing to adopt this kind of lifestyle (including more restricted activity at night), then it sounds like Nairobi could be a great place to live.

We are also seriously considering a move to Nairobi, and I'm a very timid person (I don't even go to scary movies) so I understand your concerns. We currently live in a very safe big city, where I regularly go out alone at night to visit girlfriends or go to the movies, and I am used to coming home by myself on public transportation after midnight, then walking 10 minutes to get to my apartment on a small side street. I have never ever felt even a twinge of fear here, and I feel free to walk almost anywhere. We have a car here but hardly ever use it because public transportation is so good and cheap. Of course there are bad parts of town, but I don't go there, or only in the daytime. This is just to tell you that even though I am scared of carjackings, home invasions etc, and even though we have a very free and easy lifestyle right now, I am willing to consider moving to Nairobi and drastically changing my lifestyle because of all the other positives about living there. I hate the idea of driving everywhere to do every little thing, and I hate the idea of living in a house that's like a prison, but if that's what it takes to be safe, then I'm willing to try it out. Are there any expats in Nairobi who don't drive everywhere and who don't live in armed and guarded fortresses?

There are lots of positives that sound attractive about Nairobi, feel free to message me if you want. Or maybe other people on the forum can weigh in about the things they like about Nairobi?

Regards,
Juniper

juniper

Back to top Go down

personel security Empty security and public transport

Post  mama nai Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 am

I'm writing as a pseudo-expat being an American married to a Kenyan and not having the typical expat lifestyle. I've lived in Kenya for the better part of the last 10 years, mostly around Nairobi, but now in Mombasa. I can't attest to the housing security issues too much since we've never lived in up-market areas, but for public transport - matatus are the main form of public transport and while they can be convenient, they're not always enjoyable or safe. Many blast loud music and some have inappropriate videos playing, if you can get past that, then there's the issue of crazy driving. They are out to make money, and the more trips they make along the route the more money they make, so they do drive aggressively to say the least. Also, there are the general risks of pick-pockets, etc when taking public transport. In my 10 years, i have only had one phone taken though, and never had money/wallet stolen, and to be honest, the phone was probably my fault because i left it in a shallow pocket.

mama nai

Back to top Go down

Post  akinyi Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi,
Im an Australian married to a kenyan and have lived in Nairobi for the past 4 years. In regards to safety concerns its like anywhere in the world there are places in which may not be safe. But for me in general nairobi is a safe place. Yes from time to time there are hijackings of cars etc but i would also compare this to being anywhere in the world where you can be a victim of crime. In nairobi you will quickly learn the places to avoid and places which are most safe. Housing is very safe and if you are concerned about saftey there are definately areas in which there are a large expat communities and more saftey.
there is a huge and strong expat community here and im sure you will fit in. The people of kenya are amazing kind giving and caring and i wouldnt let the fear of stigma of "nairobbery" get to you.
You can put so many things in place to keep yourself safe if you really are concerned, plus its not hard to learn where you should and shouldnt go as people will always look out for you.
hope this helps a little.

akinyi

Back to top Go down

personel security Empty more questions

Post  Colleen Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:24 am

Hello--Juniper thank you for your comment. Thanks to all who have posted information regarding safety.
I too live in a place where there is nearly no concern for personal safety.
I am also traveled and experienced enough to know that one cannot expect to understand security issues until they experience a given situation. That said it seems I read a lot about personal security issues in Nairobi. Feed back from anyone there would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a pet dog, small, completly vaccinated with rabies titer test and micro-chipped with 15 digit international chip. I am looking for definitive information on what is needed from me when I arrive in Nairobi to ensure safe smooth entrance for my pet-she is a family member, or as we say 'a people in a dog suit'. I have been all over the web looking for solid information and so far it is pretty vague! Help please! COlleen

Colleen

Back to top Go down

personel security Empty Personal security

Post  SuzC Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am

Hi

As you say, everyone's experience is different and so are everyone's expectations but for what its worth, here is my experience which I hope might help a bit... My husband and I are Uk expats and moved to Kenya about a year ago. Previously I mainly lived in London but also lived in Paris for a while and various other places in France and Spain. Before we moved to Kenya I would say that security was probably my main concern but actually I have found it much better than I expected. A lot depends on your lifestyle and the area you choose to live in. It is certainly true that I don't do some of things here which I did in London - like taking public transport or walking around on my own after dark - but the whole lifestyle here is so different that I don't really miss those things - everything is much further apart for a start so you really need a car if at all possible. A reliable taxi driver is also a good asset. That said, in the area where I live many people go out for a stroll in the early evening and I feel pretty safe walking on my own to the local shop. As for driving, its wise to keep the doors locked and be alert. I've not personally had any experience of problems in the car (apart from the driving here which can be a bit crazy!!) - although you do hear the occasional story of car jacking/robbery.

Our house is on a gated plot and we have panic buttons in the house and employ an askari (nightwatchman) but are not behind an electric fence. After the first few days, I have always felt pretty comfortable at home - of course, something could happen at any time and you have to be aware of that but I don't live in fear - if that makes sense? People have wildly different approaches to security depending on their circumstances and their own feelings and its very much a personal choice.

Anyway, I hope that's of some use - another perspective anyway!

SuzC

Back to top Go down

personel security Empty Personal security

Post  Admin Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 am

Hi there!

I think that this conversation trail has summed it up quite well. There are things that you would not do while living in Nairobi that other capital cities offer. Public transport here is pretty abysmal so we do all drive cars. I do go out and meet girlfriends at night (sometimes we car pool) while other expats might not feel comfortable doing this. My husband and I also do lots of cinema trips and meeting friends at night. I run around my block where I live and feel completely safe. I think I would feel more fearful doing this in the suburbs in London where there are intimidating gangs etc. Here the general feel is friendly and polite, where everyone greets one another, even strangers.

There are obviously incidents of crime but Nairobi is a big capital. There's crime is LA too isn't there?! Statistically, you are going to be unlucky if this happens to you and expats really aren't a common target. You are more at risk as a middle class Kenyan with a car and a TV but no money for private security. Reading crime incident reports produced by private security companies who want to promote their businesses can be depressing but the chances are, it won't happen to you and you will be surprised by how friendly and welcoming the place is!

There will always be someone who knows someone, who knows someone that something happened to - because that is the way the expat network is. Horror stories are currency and bartered at coffee mornings. Don't worry too much though. I want to say that I've lived here for 8 years and have been fine (true), our predecessors were living here in the same house for 5 and had no incident - but don't want to tempt fate!!

Nairobi is a very family orientated place.

Admin
Admin

https://africaexpatwivesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

personel security Empty Security

Post  Erico Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

This is always tricky to advice on as no one wants to be the dud that told you not to worry when you get jacked. the one thing that will hit you once you land in kenya is the hectic nature of life in Nairobi (not so much elsewhere in kenya although mombasa is now more like nairobi). This can be a bit unnerving and scary but after living there for about a month, You will get used to it. The further out you step the more confident you will feel about venturing out. I lived in kenya for about 15 years in a middle class area (not estate), with no security guard and no electic fence. We were never attacked or disturbed ata all. Just use basic common sense, ie, dont war your rolex as flava flav would and dont look scared.

Erico

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down